The EPPD Academy
The El Paso Police Department Training Academy, situated on Scenic Drive with a panoramic view of the City of El Paso, offers recruits an environment that combines rigorous academics and physical challenges. Throughout the 43-week training period, recruits will undergo comprehensive instruction in various subjects, encompassing criminal law, report writing, principles of investigation, defensive tactics, police vehicle operations, and firearm training. The academic curriculum culminates with the State of Texas licensing exam (TCOLE), which is a prerequisite for graduation.
At the academy, the principal strength and conditioning program employed is Crossfit training, emphasizing the development of physical prowess. Prospective recruits must be adequately prepared to meet the demanding physical standards the academy sets. Outlined below are the fitness standards that recruits are required to attain:
- Recruits will diligently attend classes from Monday to Friday.
- Additional training sessions may be scheduled during evenings and weekends.
- Compensation for recruits during their tenure at the academy amounts to $19.35 per hour.
- It should be noted that recruits are not accommodated on the academy premises and are responsible for securing their own housing arrangements.
- Recruits are expected to procure their own duty weapon, physical training apparel, footwear, textbooks, and other requisite training materials.
Academy for Lateral Police Officer
- 10-week Academy
- 14-week Lateral Field Training Officer Program (LFTO)